Pickled Beets are really delicious and they also have a beautiful deep red color. You must be careful when pickling them because the vinegar can really hide their flavor. All you need is enough to enhance the flavor and not hide it. They make a great addition to any table and a nutritious snack anytime. They will store well for a while when they are pickled.
Beets have a really delicious naturally sweet flavor. They can even be boiled and eaten without any seasonings. Most people prefer them to be pickled. They serve really well with a green salad. You will often find beets at the salad bar in a restaurant. Beets can easily be purchased fresh in the produce department or you may also buy them canned in the canned goods section of the grocery store. If you purchase the fresh beets that come with the greens you can always save the greens for later to make a recipe with beet greens. This recipe will serve five people. Enjoy!
5 whole beets
1/2 cup of cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1./2 teaspoon of black pepper
1. Cut the greens from the beets.
2. Cut each beet in half.
3. Boil the beets for 30 minutes.
4. Drain the beets well and rinse them in cold water.
5. The peeling will now easily remove from the beets by using your fingertips.
6. Discard the peeling and slice the beets into even slices.
7. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper and stir until the ingredients are well combined.
8. Add the beets to the mixture and allow them to marinate covered at room temperature for about 1 hour.
9. Serve them in individual serving bowls with a tablespoon of the dressing over the top. Enjoy!